Table of Contents
While Chromebooks and Chrome operating system have mostly dominated the educational market, Microsoft has been attempting to get in and level the playing field for quite some time. With Windows 11 SE, it intends to achieve exactly that. This operating system was created with K-8 classrooms in mind. It is supposed to be easier to use, more secure, and better suited to low-cost computers with limited capabilities. While developing this new OS, Microsoft collaborated with educators, school IT reps, and administrators. It is intended to run on special devices created specifically for Windows 11 SE. One of these devices is the new Surface Laptop SE from Microsoft, which will start at just $249. Devices from Acer, ASUS, Dell, Dynabook, Fujitsu, HP, JP-IK, Lenovo, and Positivo will also be included, all of which will be powered by Intel and AMD.
What is Microsoft Windows 11 SE?
Microsoft Windows 11 SE is a cloud-first edition of the operating system. It retains the strength of Windows 11 but simplifies it. This operating system is aimed primarily at educational institutions that use identity management and security for their students. To administer and deploy the OS on student devices,
- IT administrators will need Intune or Intune for Education.
- They would need to contact Microsft Education Expert.
To begin with, how does it vary from Windows 11? Second, how does it differ from previous Windows for Education editions? To put it simply, Windows 11 SE is a toned-down version of the operating system. There are also significant variations between educational editions such as Windows 11 Education and Windows 11 Pro Education.
- The majority of the functions will be the same as they are in Windows 11.
- In Windows Student Edition, apps will always open in full-screen mode.
- According to reports, the Snap layouts would only have two side-by-side configurations that divide the screen in half.
- There will also be no widgets.
- It has been designed for low-cost devices.
- It has a lower memory footprint and consumes less memory, making it ideal for students.
Also Read: How to Install Windows 11 on Legacy BIOS
How to Get Windows 11 Student Edition?
- Only devices that come pre-installed with Windows 11 SE will be able to use it. That means the gadget line-up will be released exclusively for Microsoft Windows 11 SE. For example, Surface laptop SE.
- Aside from that, unlike other editions of Windows, you will be unable to obtain a license for the operating system. This means that you cannot upgrade from a Windows 10 device to SE as you can upgrade to Windows 11.
What Apps Will Run on it?
Only a few apps will run to not overburden the OS and to reduce distractions. When it comes to launching apps on Windows 11 SE, the most important thing to remember is that only IT administrators can install them. No apps will be available for students or end-users to download.
- Microsoft 365 programs such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote, and OneDrive will be included, through a license. All Microsoft 365 apps will also be available both online and offline.
- Given that not all pupils have an internet connection at home, OneDrive will also save files locally. All offline changes will instantly sync when they reconnect to the internet at school.
- It will also work with third-party programs like Chrome and Zoom.
- There will be no Microsoft Store.
Aside from that, native applications viz apps that must be installed, Win32, and UWP formats will be limited in this operating system. It will support curated apps that fall into one of the following categories:
- Apps that filter content
- Solutions for taking tests
- Apps for people with disabilities
- Apps for effective classroom communication
- Diagnostics, administration, networking, and supportability apps are all essential.
- Web Browsers
Note: To get your program/application evaluated and approved on Windows 11 SE, you will need to work with the Account Manager. Your app should closely adhere to the six criteria outlined above.
Also Read: Why Windows 10 Sucks?
Who Can Use This Operating System?
- Microsoft Windows 11 SE was created with schools in mind, specifically K-8 classrooms. Although you may use this operating system for other things if limited program selection doesn’t frustrate you.
- Furthermore, even if you purchase a Windows 11 SE device for your child from an educational supplier, you can only fully utilize the capabilities of the device if it is provisioned for control by the IT administrator of the school. Otherwise, you would only be able to use the browser and pre-installed apps.
Thus, it is quite clear that this gadget is only useful in educational settings. The only time you should buy it yourself is if your school has requested you to do so.
Can You Use Different Edition of Windows 11 on SE Device?
Yes, you can, but there are multiple restrictions. The only option to install a different version of Windows is:
- Wipe all of the data.
- Uninstall Windows 11 SE.
Note: It will have to be deleted by the IT administrator on your behalf.
Thereafter, you will need to
- Purchase a license for any other Windows edition.
- Install it on your device.
Note: However, if you uninstall this operating system, you will never be able to reinstall it.
- How to Recover Outlook Password
- How to Set Notepad++ As Default in Windows 11
- How to Update Microsoft PowerToys App on Windows 11
- What is WinZip? What is Realtek Card Reader?
We hope you found this article interesting and knowledgeable about Microsoft Windows 11 SE, its features, and its uses. Let us know what you want to learn about next. You can send your suggestions and queries via comments section.